Total Pageviews

Please add your name as a follower of this blog if you wish to do so.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Potee Auvergnatte A Ma Facon.






This is a modified version of a wonderful dish from the Auvergne. The original calls for garlic sausage so I substituted bockwurst, calves foot so I substituted pigs feet and a cut of pork I can 't find so I substituted bacon. No doubt better bacon will be found in Ireland. I made this dish last year and I am putting it here because of the coming winter. I am sure someone would like to make it for the cold weather. Also, the latest craze of slow cookers on both sides of the Atlantic will greatly benefit from the making of this dish. Like the Irish Stew, this dish is steeped in tradition. It is all very well for me to substitute items for the originals here but to do so in France would mean the guillotine.
I remember making an Irish Stew for one of my French chefs in Africa and he put Worchester Sauce on it. It was the only time I ever stepped out of line with one of my chefs. He thought it was amusing and understood completely. I think he even had a little admiration for someone sticking up for tradition.
Anyway, this dish is pretty straight forward ( the technique is a little like Dublin Coddle ) but it needs attention so everything will be cooked at the same time. If anyone needs help doing it just let me know and I will explain it to you.

No comments: