Total Pageviews

Please add your name as a follower of this blog if you wish to do so.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Steak Salad, Roesti Potatoes And Rhubarb Chutney.




This is the end of the flank steak. It is marinated in olive oil, garlic and pepper and then simply roasted and then brushed with a thick coat of Colmans Mustard. It should be started on the top of the stove and finished in the oven. I would say about 15 mins to get that nice medium rare. It then has to sit for another 15 to 20 minutes in a warm ( not hot) place to rest and settle.

The roesti potatoes are a staple in Germany and also Switzerland. They are usually served with sauteed veal and mushrooms in a cream sauce. I will add a link so you can see how they are made.

The rhubarb chutney was absolutely delish. I got the idea from this months Martha Stewart Mag. I enhanced it of course and it was just a marvelous summer condiment. If anyone would like the recipe let me know and i will retrace my steps.
Rhubarb chutney
2 tablespoons olive oil
I medium onion finely chopped
1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup packed tight-brown sugar
1tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1cinnamon stick
1tablespoon sherry vinegar


1 In a saucepan heat oil over a medium heat. Add onion
And cook until soft
Add rhubarb, raisins, sugar, ginger and cinnamon stick
Allow to cook on a medium heat, stirring occasionally until rhubarb breaks down 6 to 8 minutes
Then Stir in vinegar.If necessary reduce further or add more sugar until you get that sticky chutney like consistency

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the rosti has similarities to the old traditional Boxty that all the Irish farmers wives made but the water was squeezed out of potatoes before cooking. Never made it but read about it. Hope you enjoyed this after your cold porridge!

Evelyn said...

hi Jim. I tried the porksteak with veggies in tinfoil a few days ago, used sirloin steak instead of pork, and put in celery as I had no fennel bulb. It was a bit tough for 2 oldies with questionable teeth. Should have given it at least 2 hours instead of about 1 hour 20 minutes. I hardly ever buy steak, it is usually tough, but the local supermarket was selling it half price that day.
I have rhubarb in the garden, how about the recipe please.

grahamer said...

love it jim.

Unknown said...

There is the recipe for the chutney. I was very pleased with the one I made but I made a few changes. You can do what you wish of course but this is what I did. I haven't seen a recipe yet that I can trust. Maybe that is why I am still single.
I did all of the things in this recipe but did not measure them. Instead I added the ingredients as I interpreted them. Leave the cinammon stick in while it is cooling as it will give it a lot of flavor.
I added a little cumin, a bay leaf, I substited rasins for the currants because they plump better and I added some dried but not too dry cranberries. When it was all done I chopped up a jalapeno pepper and added to it while it was cooling. I also added some shredded lemon zest.
So there. It turned out very well and I am sure that your creativity will kick in too and you will find things to add.
Be sure to balance out the sugar and the moisture to get that sticky chutney effect.

Unknown said...

I am not surprised that your steak was tough. I hour and twenty minutes is much too long for a steak and sirloin is not the ideal piece of meat to braise like that. It is better to grill it and serve it medium or cook it in a sauce.
When I did the pork I think it was only in the oven for 20 minutes or so and then I let it rest for a while.

But don't give up This is a great way to cook meat especially pork , chicken and fish. It doesn't lend itself well to beef. Try a chicken until you get used to the dynamics of it but keep the top flap of the aluminum paper loose so you can check it from time to time. Put some capers in with your chicken if you like them. Capers and lemon. Maybe I will do that in the next few days.

Evelyn said...

thanks for that Jim. Thats why I never buy steak. I do like the convenience of cooking everything together, so might try it with chicken or pork on Thursday for Rita's weekly visit. Thanks also for the rhubarb recipe. Paddy loves it just stewed with sugar, but I will surprise him with the chutney. Will let you know what he thinks of it.

Unknown said...

I also love rhubarb tart but I can't seem to get it to stay in pieces. It always disappears into liquid on me. Hard to believe I spent a year in the pastry dept.