Total Pageviews

Please add your name as a follower of this blog if you wish to do so.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pork , Sausage And Lentil Stew





This is a particularly good dish at this time of the year if you like lentils. Not only is it filling and nourishing but you can use up all the scraps of vegetables that you have in your 'fridge from previous dishes. All those half pieces of carrot and other root vegetables can be thrown together to make this wonderful dish.

For this particular dish I used linguica and pork shoulder. I let the lentils steep for a few hours. Then I started the stewe with some sauteed bacon bits to get that bacon flavor. Then I added a little olive oil and when that was hot enough I added the meats. When they were browned I added plenty of chopped onion and let them cook for a couple of minutes, then a little white wine and reduced it.

I Then added all the root vegetables I could find. Don’nt forget thyme, bay leaf and of course, salt and pepper.

This is a dish you can play with so I added a little cumin.

Finally I added the lentils with plenty of chopped garlic , covered the whole thing with water and let it stew in the slow cooker for a few hours.

No comments: