Total Pageviews

Please add your name as a follower of this blog if you wish to do so.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Turkey Casserole




Chicken or turkey

Peas

Celery

Carrots

Mushrooms

Heavy cream

Broad lasagna type pasta

Garlic

Bay leaf

Sweet red and green peppers.

Garlic

Thyme and bay leaf.

Poach the chicken with some a carrot, an onion and a stalk of celery as if you were making chicken stock. When it is cooked remove the chicken or turkey from heat and keep warm. Strain the stock.

Make a small roux and make a sauce using the chicken stock and the roux. Be sure to cook the flour taste out of the sauce. This is called a chicken veloute. You will find it on the internet.

Cut all the ingredients up into fairly large pieces and cook them slowly in some virgin olive oil. Add the onions and the peppers first and then the celery and the carrots and finally the mushrooms. Add a dash of vinegar and burn it off to counter the sweetness of all those vegetables.

Then add a few tablespoons of white wine and reduce that until dry. By this time the vegetables should be cooked but still be al dente.

Break up the pieces of chicken and add them to this mix.. Add some frozen peas. Reheat the sauce and cook the pasta. When it is cooked add the pasta to the chicken and pour the sauce over the whole mix. Crush a few cloves of garlic and add them too. Add some heavy cream and fold in so as not to break up the chicken and vegetables. Correct the seasoning. Place into and oven proof dish sprinkle with white breadcrumbs and cheese and bake to a golden brown.

Make more sauce than you think you need because you need a lot of sauce with this.

3 comments:

Tomie Nomiya said...

Hi Jim, this looks very good!! Hmmm... Specially in these cold days. Is this your secret recipie or is it possible to have it? I would be glad to try it...

Unknown said...

Hello Tomie
I made this up myself but Terry tells me it is like chicken 'TETRAZZINI I never made this dish that Terry was talking about so I looked it up on the internet. I think I like this better. I have added a recipe of sorts and I hear you are a good cook so I am sure you will be able to figure it out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tomie Nomiya said...

Thank you Jim, I'll let you know when I'll cook it.